Law Offices of Marie B. Higuera

Violence Against Women Act and Assistance for Victims of Crime

If you or a family member are a survivor of domestic violence or have been a victim of a crime, you may be eligible for immigration relief. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was created to protect vulnerable people from domestic violence and other violent crime. VAWA offers legal immigration status to protect men, women and children who have been victims of violence. The Law Offices of Marie B. Higuera works with clients to help them understand the law and obtain legal status.

Are you eligible for residence because you are a victim of domestic violence other violent crime?
Contact us to schedule an appointment: 206-607-6175 or 866-591-6454.

Relief from Violence

Under the Violence Against Women Act, there are several forms of relief available. The status of the abuser determines whether you are eligible to apply for immigrant or non-immigrant status. Working with an attorney may make obtaining legal immigration status possible.

•Self-petition: A self-petition may be the right approach for you if you are the spouse or child of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and have been a victim of abuse while living with the abuser in the U.S. A self-petition allows you to file a petition to obtain residency in the United States.
•VAWA cancellation: If you or your child were the victim of abuse by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent, you may be eligible to obtain legal residence through an application for VAWA cancellation.
•U Visa: Under the Violence Against Women Act, you may be able to apply for a UVisa if you were the victim of a crime against the person
•T Visa: A T Visa may be available for people who are victims of human trafficking or forced labor.

You may also qualify for asylum based on domestic violence if you suffered violence by a family member in your home country.